Thursday, May 1, 2008

Today is labour day and this morning I had to teach a peer tute class for foundation students in their first semester. The second class for Engineering Maths A. Last week was the first class. (I accepted the offer to be a peer tutor anyways).

How does it feel like?

Somehow I feel responsible for them and I know if they did not do well in their coming test this Saturday I would feel kinda disappointed and wonder if I teach properly. Good luck to them for the trigo test!

Somehow it seemed like many of the students in foundation needs help with their maths. I think that it's just because of the culture shock or something like that. First semester in college, I guess they'll just be trying to get used to the culture, thats why they couldn't really grasp the lesson. That was the case for me last time.

And since quite many students need help for their maths, they need peer tutors too. I'm teaching 2 classes and 5 students in each class, plus 2 more coming in for conics lessons. Riady my friend is also tutoring too. But have been quite a number of students texting me asking if they can join my peer tute class. The lecturer gave them my phone number +_+''. (I don't quite like my number being passed around like that and getting text messages like "Hi, I am interested to join ur tuition class...." and they dun even introduce themselves. How rude.)

Since there are already 5 students in each class and it wouldn't be efficient to have many students in a class, I had to turn all of them down. Feels kinda mean. Especially to those who asked nicely.

But what to do? I've been requested by the lecturer in charge of their EMA to find some more peer tutors to teach, but I've asked several friends and they said they are busy.

Which makes me think, I'm taking two classes and also have to cope with my homework as well. Am i chewing more than I could swallow? I really have to manage my time well then.

One thing which really makes me go "Hmm.. foundation students' style.." is some of them do not try to do properly the tute questions. Kinda lazy, right?. While I have to do their tute work and my work too. =''= They're asking things like "If I understand the basic things, will I pass my Engineering Maths?" Really sweat =''=

I've been asked to give them an extra class before they have their exam tomorrow. But I am busy + don't really want to + it's tiring. Now I understand my mom's tiredness in teaching for few hours straight. Should I give them extra class?

Now I kinda regretted telling them my MSN messenger address cause they are asking me if they can ask me questions online over IM. Double sweat. =''= Seems like I am like an EMA helpline.

Despite all that, it really feels kinda fun to be a peer tutor. But what's more important is I hope I can juggle my own studies well.

I really really wanna do well this semester. Really really.

5 comments:

saykhia said...

Helping others when they're in need is ALWAYS a noble thing to do :) And it's okay to turn people down when you know that you won't be able to fulfill your part of the bargain if you had accepted!

Alice In Wonderland said...

Hi, thanks for dropping by, saykhia!
Say.....do you want to be a tutor for EMA? =D

saykhia said...

Heh. So sorry but I've already turned this offer down once. And I think my decision still stands.

Anonymous said...

huhu... my math sucks... XD maybe even need you to tutor me instead. hohohoho

Alice In Wonderland said...

@saykhia: that is a loss for those wanting to be your student. But if life is busy then it'd be better not to, and concentrate on getting your 4HDs! =D
@rain: I need tutoring for maths too. Somehow I have a bad feeling for maths this semester. :S