Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Carpark nightmare

Just now I had my classes ending at 7.30pm. The sun has set and it's dark, and since I don't like walking alone to where my car was parked at the multistorey carpark building, I asked a guy friend to accompany me there. Coincidentally he parked his car at the carpark too.

But he parked at the 1st floor while my car was a few more stories up. So I requested that he accompany me to my car and I'll stop him by his vehicle on my drive down.

I thought I had parked my car at the 3rd floor, so my friend and I went all the way to the 3rd floor. We used the lift at the ground floor. The lift area was lit there. But when the lift stopped at the 3rd floor and its door opened, we came to a 3rd floor which wasn't lit. And when I opened the door out to the carpark area, it's pitch black! Literally! Not a single light was on.

I saw one car parked at the far end of the 3rd floor car park. But it wasn't mine! I started to panic because I remember parking at the 3rd floor. And now my car's not there!

The whole floor was very dark, I was really freaked out because I hated carparks which are dimly lit, they're scary to me; and what's more is the whole carpark floor was pitch dark. You cannot even imagine. That kind of dark empty space is really really scary.

My friend told me not to worry, my car should be okay, and I must have remembered the wrong floor. Sure enough, when we went to the 2nd floor, my car was there. This 2nd floor had an unlit lift area as well. And although there are lights at this floor, we only found our way to my car assisted by a few fluorescent tubes lighting a large space. Which makes it still very, very dim.

Quickly I walked to my car and locked the door when I got in with my friend. Then I felt safer.

I went to sleep rather early shortly after I got home, since I'm extremely tired. And just now I had nightmares about the carpark. Woke up in a little sweat and now I can't sleep a wink even if I tried. And it's only 2am.

Maybe carparks scare only me in particular to the point of getting nightmares. Others might not get nightmares.

Although I was accompanied by a male friend, I still felt it was really unsafe for the both of us. I repeat, the whole floor was pitch black, even the lift area.It's only 7.30pm. Why can't the carpark floor be more brightly lit? It's a carpark, for goodness sake. Bad things always happen at the carpark. With that kind of pitch darkness, you wouldn't realize it at all even if there was a guy with a knife hiding behind the pillar three feet in front of you.

Someone could be lurking next to your car while you walk from the other side in the darkness. And when you open the car door and get into the driver's seat, he could simply enter from the other passenger seat and put a knife to your throat. What will you do next? Scream? Will you dare to scream? By the time someone got there (if they even heard you), you'd be dead already. I shudder at the consequences.

Many people have night classes that end later than 7.30pm. And some are girls. (girls or guys, it's still dangerous) At least they should keep the place brightly lit until 9.45pm, a little longer after the last classes end. They only bother to switch on a few lights on the ground floor where there are more cars, and a few lights at the 2nd floor. This is an inappropriate time to be thinking of saving up on electricity. When something bad happens, it's too late to be sorry and change anything. Nothing can be reversed then.

I'm thinking of complaining to the student admin.

No comments: